Saturday, November 06, 2004

England Trip Notes - 10/23/2004

I slept about 2 hours last night, due to the extreme discomfort with my tooth. Five a.m. finally rolled around and I awoke Beth. We did our final packing, straightened up the room, and headed for Gatwick.

The drive was uneventful, and the traffic was manageable, until we got close to Gatwick. We hoped for meaningful traffic signs to guide us to the rental car return, but there were none until we were within sight of the rental car building, anyway. We had trouble figuring out exactly where to take the car, but finally sorted it out, and proceeded to the counter. I fully expected a long and painful ordeal, as I knew I would have to pay for the flat tire, and I fully expected them to charge me for the small dent resulting from our Chipping Camden experience. However, they did not charge me for either! I was quite thrilled, and our experience with Enterprise Rental turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

The rest of the day was just long boring travel. Waiting in lines at Gatwick, traversing security, customs, and immigration both in England, and in Philadelphia, and of course sitting for endless hours in the coach section of two different airplanes, makes for uninteresting reading, so I will not say anything more.

We arrived to find Dad waiting for us at the baggage claim, and he drove us home. There's no place like home. We loved England, and both agree that it may have been our best vacation ever, but we are glad to be home.

No comments: